Contactless payment functionality is the latest in payment technology and is now an added benefit of your Bank of America MasterCard or Visa credit card.
- Using the same safe and secure technology as Chip and PIN, contactless is a faster, more convenient way to pay for purchases of £20 and under using your Bank of America credit card. Wherever you see the symbol below, just hold your credit card up to the reader and wait for the green light. Simple as that.
- Contactless payment means you don't need to insert your card or enter your PIN, so the transaction is much quicker. It's another convenient alternative to cash too. No rummaging for notes and coins - or waiting for change.
- If you've received a card from us recently it will be contactless enabled, but you can tell if you have a contactless credit card by checking if it has the contactless indicator on the front of it.
- If your purchase is over £20, continue to use chip & PIN for your transaction.
- View our Frequently Asked Questions for more information.
How It Works
Look out for the contactless symbol when you're out shopping and making a purchase of £20 or under.
Tell the retailer you would like to pay with your contactless card and simply hold it against the card reader to make your payment
The card reader will confirm that your transaction has processed successfully and you'll see a green light or hear a beep. Your transaction is complete. If you need a receipt just ask the retailer.
- More and more places are starting to accept contactless cards in both the UK and at most contactless retailers around the world.* From coffee shops to buses the list is growing, making it easier to pay for the essentials in life.
- Learn more about where you can use your new contactless Visa credit card
- Learn more about where you can use your new contactless MasterCard credit card
- Just remember to look out for the contactless symbol when you're out shopping
*Bank of America contactless credit cards are designed for use in most countries around the world. However there are a small number of contactless terminals in the United States which use a security mechanism not supported by Bank of America. If you attempt a contactless payment at one of these terminals it will be declined, however you will still be able to perform a standard swipe transaction at these retailers.
- Contactless payments are secured by the same technology behind chip & PIN.
- Contactless cards only work when they are close to the reader (within 4cm) so there's no chance of you accidentally paying for someone else's shopping.
- For extra security, occasionally you may be asked to make a chip & PIN transaction instead and enter your PIN. This is nothing to worry about and is for extra security to make sure the card is still in your safe possession.
- Just like a chip & PIN transaction you will still be covered for any fraud on your account from contactless transactions as long as you tell us as soon as possible if your card is missing or there are any transactions on it that you don't recognise.
The Terms and Conditions which apply to your credit card will apply when making contactless payments. We may change your Terms & Conditions or add new ones at any time, but if we do we will always tell you when we do.
The Bank of America MasterCard and Visa credit cards are issued by MBNA Europe Bank Limited. MBNA is a Bank of America company. Registered Office: Stansfield House, Chester Business Park, Chester CH4 9QQ. Registered in England number 2783251. Credit is available, subject to status, only to UK residents aged 18 or over. You cannot transfer balances from another account issued by MBNA. We will monitor or record some phone calls. MBNA's consumer credit activities are licensed by the Office of Fair Trading (OFT) and MBNA's general insurance activities are authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority (FSA).