All our credit cards are covered by a free and automatic security protection package providing greater defence against theft, loss or unauthorised use of your cards. They include the following security features:
Your security is a top priority at Bank of America. Our real-time fraud detection system monitors your account 24 hours a day 7 days a week for any transactions that appear out of character or we suspect may be fraudulent. Here are the key features you will get with your Bank of America credit card:
- Zero fraud liability: If your card is lost or stolen, or used without your knowledge or consent, or you see any transactions on your account statement that you don’t recognise please contact us immediately on our free phone number 0800 456 1234 or overseas on our reverse charge number +44 1244 675 989. Provided you do so you will not be held liable for any fraudulent use.
- Fraud alerts: our 24-hour fraud detection team will proactively monitor your account and contact you by phone, SMS/text message or in writing if we suspect any fraud.
- Card Verification Code (CVC): all our cards use a CVC code, a unique feature of Visa™ and MasterCard® that can normally be found on the signature strip on the back of a card (the last three digits). The purpose of this is to verify that the genuine card is being used to make the purchase.
- Chip & PIN: all of our cards use Chip & PIN technology, the most secure way to pay by credit or debit card in the UK. Instead of a signature, you will be asked to enter a four-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN) known only to you.
- 3D Secure™: This Visa and MasterCard service offers an additional level of security when shopping online. You will create a password that can be used like a PIN when shopping online with participating retailers.
- SiteKey: Only available at Bank of America, this award-winning security measure provides an additional layer of identity verification when you log in to Online Card Services. It lets you know it’s really us and lets us know it’s really you.
- Credit Industry Fraud Avoidance System: Bank of America is a member of Credit Industry Fraud Avoidance System - the UK’s fraud prevention service. Credit Industry Fraud Avoidance System has over 270 members from finance, banking, retail, telecommunications and other industries who share knowledge and best practices for identifying and fighting fraud. Learn more about Credit Industry Fraud Avoidance System.
How Chip & PIN credit cards work
All banks and card providers have introduced Chip & PIN credit cards in a united effort to reduce credit card fraud. Instead of signing your name when you use your credit card to make a purchase or withdraw cash, you enter a four-digit Personal Identification Number (PIN) into the PIN pad. If you shop at a retailer that does not have a PIN pad attached to the terminal you will still be required to sign.
Choose a PIN that you’ll remember
You will be allocated a PIN by us when you get your card, but you can change it at most cash machines to one you’ll more easily remember (try to avoid patterns such as 1234 or 7777 and obvious number combinations like addresses and birthdays). If you forget your PIN or enter it incorrectly it may become locked. Call us on 0800 456 1234 to get your PIN unlocked.
Keep your PIN a secret
Never disclose your PIN to anyone or write it down. You will never be asked for your PIN when making a mail order or internet transaction, only the three-digit security number on the signature panel on the reverse of your card. Do not confuse the two; your PIN is for machines only.
Forgotten your PIN?
If you have forgotten your credit card PIN, you can use our secure Online Card Services service to get a PIN reminder. All you need to do is access Online Card Services and then select the PIN tab. Here you’ll be able to securely view your PIN at your convenience.
Where can I change my PIN?
You can change your PIN at most high street banks that have cash machines with PIN services. Simply follow the on-screen instructions.
Protection made simple
3D Secure™ Security protection, consists of MasterCard SecureCode™ and Verified by Visa™ and are the leading security systems for online credit card transactions. As a cardholder, and at no cost, you automatically receive the enhanced security. The authentication authorises nearly all online payments instantly with no need to register or create passwords. Occasionally you may be requested to enter information linked to your account when making an online purchase, but this information will be securely treated.
What is SiteKey?
SiteKey provides an extra layer of security when you log in to Online Card Services, helping to protect your personal details. Your SiteKey will consist of:
- A memorable picture from our album
- A memorable phrase to accompany your picture
- Three security questions we can ask if we need to verify your identity
How does SiteKey work?
When you log in you’ll see the picture and phrase you’ve chosen, so you know you’re on the legitimate Online Card Services site and can enter your password with confidence.
We also identify the computer you log in from - as an added security measure when you log in from a computer that you rarely use, we may ask you one of your security questions before we show your SiteKey.
How do we recognise you?footnote 1
We can recognise you by placing a ‘cookie’ on your computer when you select your SiteKey. This cookie contains a random number. We identify your cookie when you log in, so we know you’re using your own computer.
How do you get SiteKey?
It’s quick and straightforward - log in or register for Online Card Services and you’ll be prompted to set up your SiteKey, unless of course you’ve done so already. Just follow the simple on-screen directions.
Once you’ve chosen your SiteKey, you can manage it along with your other personal information in Online Card Services.